Winter Driving Tips
The winter months are in full swing in Hartford and West Hartford, and it’s vital to be prepared for road conditions with freezing rain, ice, and snow. Each winter, follow this checklist to stay safe on your drives:
- Pack a Winter Supply Box
- Check Your Fluid Levels
- Check the Tire Pressure and Tread Depth
- Switch to Winter-Grade Oil and Wiper Fluid
- Have the Battery Tested
- Check the Headlights and Brake Lights
Check out our winter driving tips in more detail below Acura of Avon, then schedule service at our authorized Acura service center to get ready for the winter weather!
1. Pack a Winter Supply Box
If you get stranded on the road in Canton, you’ll want to make sure you stay safe in freezing and low-visibility conditions. It’s always a good idea to be prepared for the worst by keeping these items in your car:
- Flashlight and road flares
- First-aid kit
- Extra gloves, clothes, and blankets to stay warm
- A radio and a charged cell phone
- A Bag of Sand/Cat Litter or Carpet Sections for Traction
- Extra Ice Scraper
- High-Energy Snacks (Such as protein bars and jerky)
2. Check Your Fuel, Coolant and Antifreeze Levels
It’s important to make sure your fuel tank is always at least half full in the winter. Temperatures dropping to extreme lows overnight may cause issues when you try to start your car in the morning on a tank that is lower on gas.
Antifreeze keeps your engine from freezing when temperatures drop. Check the level yourself or have it checked at a service center. Coolant and antifreeze should be available at every auto supply store.
3. Check the Tire Pressure and Tread Depth
Insert a penny into your tire’s tread with the top of Lincoln’s head pointing inward. If you can still see his head, you should replace your tires. Even if you can’t, make sure you check the tire pressure – changing temperatures can affect it. You can also change out your all-season tires for winter-grade tires. If you live in an area with steep hills and frequent snow, you may even want to upgrade to snow tires.
4. Switch to Winter-Grade Oil and Wiper Fluid
The colder the weather, the thinner you need your oil. When winter is coming, consider switching to oil with a lower cold weather viscosity grade. You’ll also want to switch to winter wiper fluid to prevent freezing.
5. Have the Battery Tested
Your battery’s capacity decreases significantly in colder weather, so checking it right before winter makes sense. You’ll also want to park in a garage instead of in the freezing cold if you want to protect your battery.
6. Check the Headlights and Brake Lights
Headlights and brake lights need to deal with thick winter fog or snow. Check for any cracks or discoloration.
Acura Winter Driving Advantages
Buying a new Acura with AWD can help conquer even the snowiest of roads. Explore Acura features that can give you a leg up when tackling winter roads in Manchester:
- SH-AWD®: With the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ system equipped, a vehicle like the Acura MDX is able to shift power precisely to the wheels using torque vectoring to compensate for snow and ice.
- AcuraLink®: AcuraLink will send you updates anytime your vehicle requires service to help avoid surprises. If you do run into any trouble out on the road, AcuraLink will automatically contact emergency services or help you get a tow.
- Acura Safety: Acura has won many awards for their advanced safety features that can help protect you on a bad weather day.
Getting Your Car Winter-Safe is Extremely Important
The temperatures will drop and the roads will turn icy as winter hits Berlin and Hartford, so it’s best to make sure your vehicle is prepared. Need any further advice or assistance? From financing to Acura service, we’re always here to help – feel free to contact us today.
Learn More at Acura of Avon
If you’re looking for a dependable SUV that can take on any job around Hartford and West Hartford then you owe it to yourself to check out the 2020 Acura MDX towing capacity. This popular Acura model comes equipped with plenty of power to help you on the job site or carry your boat or trailer…
The 2020 Acura RDX towing capacity reaches a maximum of 1,500 pounds. As a midsize crossover, the 2020 Acura RDX towing capacity is among the most impressive on the market. Along with this outstanding RDX capacity strength, West Hartford and Hartford drivers can leverage the drivetrain that suits them with AWD and FWD options. Learn more…
When taking out a loan, you’re going to be charged interest, so it’s important to know how to calculate interest rate on a car loan. How much does this interest impact your monthly payments and the total amount owed in the end? Learn how to find out interest rate on cars and more at Acura of Avon….